Authors: Geoff Johnson The Rocky Mountain Collegian

With all the buzz around a pot-legalization measure on November’s ballot, Bailey Ramsey is skeptical about one group’s claim that the plant is safer than alcohol.

“I don’t see how it’s any less bad for you than alcohol,” said Ramsey, a sophomore apparel and merchandising major. “There’s a way to measure whether you’re too impaired to drive or make decisions with alcohol.”

But on college campuses, such as CSU, Ramsey appears to be in the minority. Several students interviewed this week voiced support for the statewide legalization measure.

And the measure’s backers, namely Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation, are banking on the college student turnout.

“You don’t really hear about people dying in a car wreck because they were high,” said Katie Tracy, a junior apparel and merchandising major. “I would be more likely to trust someone with my safety if they were high than if they were drunk.”

Nicholas Beno, a senior chemical engineering major, said societal alcohol problems would be alleviated by the legalization of marijuana.

“You’re much more subdued under the influence of marijuana than you are drunk,” Beno said.

Brian Walker, a freshman psychology major, agreed.

“(Alcohol) causes fights,” he said. “People who are high are more likely to be sort of relaxed or even numb.”

But for Walker, the issue is more or less irrelevant: “People are going to (smoke pot) if it’s legal or not.”

Staff writer Geoff Johnson can be reached at news@collegian.com.