To the Editor

After recent events revolving around Kappa Alpha Theta sorority, it has come to my attention how negatively this situation is being addressed. Yes, the chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority was closed on the CSU campus. The charter was not “yanked” or “pulled,” as reporters have stated. Kappa Alpha Theta is a sorority full of amazing individuals, and the hearts of the Greek community go out to these women.

In the past when chapters have been closed, it has been for very serious violations. This is not the case with Kappa Alpha Theta. The Colorado State chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta was not in major violation of any policy. They were a chapter that had come across hard times, and their headquarters had to do what was best for the members and their organization. The members of Colorado State’s Kappa Alpha Theta chapter are currently still members of their sorority and will become alumna members upon graduation.

We, as a Greek community, ask the Colorado State campus to understand the situation these women are in. Please don’t judge them, and don’t assume the worst. The chapter has always been highly involved in the Greek community, and they will be missed. Understand the pain and hurt these women are feeling right now, and please be more respectful.

Amanda Boughey

Vice President of Public Relations, Panhellenic Council

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I wanted to thank Robert Shipton for his response to Nick Hately’s column on our CU neighbors. It is that kind of blind intolerance of others that leads to hate crimes, racism and even homophobia.

This is supposed to be an institution that embraces diversity, yet there is hate and prejudice written up in the students’ own college newspaper.

Being a columnist, in any newspaper, brings a lot of responsibility and perhaps Mr. Hately needs to be reminded of this before he writes more narrow-minded diatribe.

Lindsay Parrie

grad student