For news, we count on you

Authors: Vimal Patel The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Thank you for picking up a copy of your student newspaper, The Rocky Mountain Collegian.

I’m going to use this space every Tuesday to tell you more about the news coverage of the Collegian – why we make the decisions we do, the things we do right, the things we do wrong, why pot is always on our front page and the like.

I’ll also occasionally address reader questions and concerns here.

Criticism will be leveled – of me, you and my colleagues. Punches won’t be pulled.

The goal will be for you to come away with a better understanding of newspapers, especially college ones. And even more specifically, your own Rocky Mountain Collegian.

Our news philosophy this year is simple: to provide you with the most timely, entertaining and hard-hitting information on matters important to CSU students.

We will work tirelessly to do this.

Right off the bat, please accept our apology. We cannot cover every event or story that deserves coverage. At CSU, there are just too many. From the perseverance of our athletes to the hard work of our janitors, and all the exceptional students and professors between, there are just too many stars here.

Still, we will do what we can. You can help us out by sending us story suggestions and tips to news@collegian.com.

We take your thoughts and ideas seriously, and to some extent, depend on them.

In addition to highlighting the excellence of CSU, a job just as important is reporting on what needs work. With that in mind, we will hold to account those in positions of authority, especially if they have been entrusted with promoting the well-being of CSU students.

We’re your paper, and we’re your servants, and we’ll never forget it.

We will try to capture the essence of what it’s like to be a CSU student in the 2006-07 school year, so that you can tuck away a stack of our issues, come back to them 50 years from now and vividly remember what things were like.

Above all, the Collegian will strive to abide by a set of standards, chief among them, the commitment to fairness, accuracy and decency.

At times, we will inevitably fall short. And if you think we have, please let us know in the form of a letter to the editor, or a phone call or visit to our offices, located in the basement of the Lory Student Center.

In closing, I look forward to meeting you throughout the course of the year. We have no doubt your thoughts and ideas will enrich the quality of the Collegian.

We hope to reciprocate.

Vimal Patel, the Collegian’s news managing editor, is a senior technical journalism major. His column appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.