Cold beers for hot days

Jun 202006

Authors: Mike Donovan

More than 35 different Colorado breweries. 48 different beers. 432 kegs. 6,696 gallons of beer. One lucky group of residents.

The 17th annual Colorado Brewer’s Festival will shut down portions of Old Town on Saturday and Sunday (June 24 and 25) The Brewfest is the only beer festival that showcases strictly Colorado beer, according to the event’s coordinator Peggy Lyle.

“This festival is truly one-of-a-kind,” Lyle said. “We have breweries from all over the state; they’re coming out of the woodwork for (the festival).”

While more than 35 breweries will showcase their suds over the weekend, six local breweries have the honor of being host breweries.

New Belgium Brewing, Budweiser, Big Horn Brewing Company, Coopersmith’s, Fort Collins Brewery, and Odell Brewing Company will host this year’s festival.

While guest breweries will only be bringing one beer to Fort Collins, each host will bring at least two, according to Lyle.

According to the Colorado tourism office, Colorado brews more beer than any other state in the country.

Tom Peters, owner of the three-year-old Fort Collins Brewery, believes that Brewfest and the number of breweries set Fort Collins apart from other cities.

“This region is kind of the Napa Valley of beer,” Peters said during a phone interview Monday. “It would be not to have a festival.”

For small breweries – like Fort Collins Brewery – serving at festivals is the best way to increase beer sales due to their lack of advertising budgets. Peters, who has taken his beers to Cheyenne, Estes Park, and Aspen in the past few months, is looking forward to a hometown festival.

“We don’t have millions of dollars or a team of Clydesdales, so we are always doing festivals,” Peters said.

While many beer festivals around the country have judges to decide which beer is best, this one does not.

“There’s no judging. It is for the public to come in and sample new beers,” Lyle said.

The festival will run from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on both the 24th and 25th on Linden and Walnut Streets.

It costs ten dollars for a two-day pass on Saturday or six dollars for a one-day only pass on Sunday.

Designated drivers attending will receive two free Pepsi products. Timberline Church will also be providing safe rides for festival-goers.