To the Editor

“Illegal immigrants should be here to stay.” I just wanted to let you know I disagree wholeheartedly with your claim that “Undocumented immigrants are, and should be, here to stay,” and I do not consider myself to be “filled with irrational hatred,” “probably ignorant” or a racist.

In your article you not only call people who disagree with your thoughts racist, but you go on to call Congress racist because it is not talking about strengthening our Canadian borders. I believe that if there is any racism on this issue, the guilty parties are amnesty-supporting whites, for it is they who seem to think non-white immigrants are incapable of obeying the law and should not be held to high standards of conduct.

How can such a low expectation be seen as anything but a bigoted condescension? What about the legal immigrants who did everything by the book and waited years for a green card? Talk about a slap in the face when, by your standards, all they should have done is jumped the fence!

It is bad enough that immigrants come here illegally and have no right to be here, but I am having a hard time comprehending the audacity they have to demand rights and the people like you who support them. Another quote from your article: “The right-wingers who would like to see undocumented Mexican-Americans sent back to Mexico are the same people who support the American corporations that extract resources from our neighbor to the south, marginalize its people and leave nothing in return.”

Stop trying to be “politically correct” by calling illegal immigrants Mexican-Americans. They are not Americans. They are Mexicans living in America illegally. Second, if you are referring to oil and oil products, these products are purchased from Mexico by the United States and other nations at competitive prices dictated by supply and demand.

On top of all this, the United States has bailed Mexico out of a debt crisis on two separate occasions, loaning them billions of dollars and, to this day, we still give them millions of dollars in foreign aid annually.

Your article does a huge discredit to all the people who agree with your opinion on immigration issues and does nothing but provoke laughter from those of us who disagree.

The entire time I was reading your article I couldn’t help but think of Billy Madison, “What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.”

Kate Wernsman

junior

economics