Authors: Collegian Editorial Staff

The time to act is now, fellow students. The Colorado Alcohol-Marijuana Equalization Initiative is on the rocks, and it needs your help.

However you feel about whether pot should be legalized statewide, we believe placing the ballot before voters and having the debate would be beneficial.

Make no mistake about it, potheads who just want to get high are entrenched in the legalization movement. But their presence does not take away from the seriousness of the underlying issues – the arbitrariness of our laws and the safety of our society.

We’ve lost several fellow Rams to alcohol-related crashes, and in 2004, CSU student Samantha Spady drank herself to death.

As clich/ as the pot-legalization Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation (SAFER) has made it sound, the claim that pot is not as harmful as alcohol, and therefore it’s illogical and fundamentally unfair to keep the plant illegal while tolerating the drink, seems sound to us.

As far as we know, no one has ever died from a pot overdose, whereas thousands have from an alcohol overdose.

But our motives, to an extent, are selfish.

As your student newspaper, we want to find out where our elected officials stand on the issue.

We want to poke and harangue the gods and goddesses of democracy. And if the initiative makes it to the ballot, politicians would be forced to state their beliefs on this issue so pertinent to the extracurricular lives of some college students.

This is an issue that will make them squirm, and is sure to highlight hypocrisy. We hope you give us the chance to do so.

Sign the SAFER initiative. Help the SAFER campaign. And to the petitioners, get the petitions back to SAFER.