Authors: BEN AAKER The Rocky Mountain Collegian

More than 300 staff, students and family members gathered at the fourth annual Student Organizations Awards and Recognition (SOAR) in the Main Ballroom of the LSC Tuesday night to recognize and celebrate the outstanding accomplishments of CSU’s registered students organizations.

“There are over 300 registered student organizations on campus,” said Pam Sampson, the Assistant Director of Campus Activities. “(SOAR) aims to acknowledge and reward a few different groups across campus that make CSU the success it is.”

SOAR recognized 25 organizations and nine individuals in seven different categories including Leadership, Community Service, Marketing, Exceptional Organizations, Programming, Advisor and Student Organization of Character.

In each category, subcategories existed in which organizations and individuals were rewarded for their success. Both winners and runners-up were honored at the event.

In order to receive a chance of recognition, organizations were required to fill out an application. As for the individual candidates, a separate party nominated them for their display of leadership qualities.

At the end of the night, several groups, including Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council, Students for Holocaust Awareness, The Indian Students Association and Active Minds at CSU, just to name a few, were rewarded with a trophy of recognition and success.

No one group appeared on stage more, receiving more recognition than The Muslim Student Association. The group of 15 full-time students received four awards including the Outstanding Overall Program Award for their “15th Annual Islamic Cultural Night” and Exceptional Small Organization Award.

“We’ve worked so hard to achieve our goal of showing the Fort Collins community about the Islamic culture and heritage in hopes of bridging the gap,” said Zaki Safar, the Vice-President of the Muslim Student Association. “It feels so nice to be recognized for all our hard work.”

And celebrating the hard work put in is just what SOAR is all about, said Shannon Smiley, the SOAR Student Coordinator.

“These groups put so much effort into their cause and offer students the wonderful opportunity to learn about the true diversity of the student body,” Smiley said.

Students interested in learning more about Student Organizations on Campus can go to the Student Organizations Office at www.sc.colostate.edu/studentorg/.

Ben Aaker can be reached at campus@collegian.com