Authors: Mike Donovan

The Oscars. The Emmys. The ESPYs. None of these awards come close to the ones being handed out today, the Mobys. The Mobys, a.k.a. the Collegian Sports Awards, will be given to the best athlete, best team, best coach and the best game of the 2005-2006 school year.

Best Team- The Volleyball team- Competing in the 11th consecutive NCAA tournament, the volleyball team gets the nod as team of the year. Not only did they finish second in Mountain West Conference play, they beat rivals Colorado in the NCAA tournament to close out the season. Led by Dre Downs, Tess Rogers and Casey Bauer, the team beat every Mountain West opponent at least once year, the only CSU team to do so. Basically, this year’s volleyball team is just like every other that has been fielded in the past 11 years: the best.

Best Athlete- Jill McCormick (indoor track) – I am following a few guidelines in determining who wins each Moby award and here is one of them. If you are your school’s only varsity All-American for that year, then you are the school’s athlete of the year. It is with that guideline in mind that I give McCormick the Moby for best athlete. McCormick finished ninth in the nation in the weight throw during the indoor track season, leading to her being named All-American. I also considered David Anderson and club lacrosse players Pete Jokisch and Jen Gunlikson for the prize, but McCormick gets the win.

Best Coach- Brian Bedard (indoor and outdoor track)- Now I know Bedard is not a head coach (yet) and I know I have already talked about a member of the track team, but Bedard’s success cannot be overlooked. McCormick would not have been able to become the champion she is without Bedard’s tutelage. While this award is just for this year, Bedard also deserves praise for what he has done as a career coach at CSU. He has coached 38 conference champions and 26 All-Americans in his 18 seasons. If that isn’t enough to prove Bedard’s greatness, he was named as the replacement for head coach Del Hessel for next season.

Best Game- Football vs. Utah- This game had everything that the more than 32,000 home fans could want. It was filled with lead changes, key turnovers and a goal-line stand that gave the victory to the hosts. I have never seen a happier crowd at a sporting event as when Blake Smith and Delroy Parke stopped Utah running back Quinton Ganther short of the goal line. Stopping a team three times from the 1-yard line is something so rare that a lot of coaches would have conceded the score, so they could get the ball back with some time to play. But Sonny Lubick knew better and, as usual, he was right. I know some will say that the men’s basketball team’s victory (over Colorado) is more important. But I’ll take a miracle goal-line stand over a missed shot at the buzzer any day.