Not cool at CSU

EVERY YEAR more than half a million college students are targets of bias-driven slurs or physical assaults. Every day at least one hate crime occurs on a college campus. Every minute a college student sees or hears a racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-Semitic or otherwise biased word or image (www.tolerance.org, a Web project of the Southern Poverty Law Center).

Recently there was a report of such an incident involving gay students who were assaulted off campus.

In today’s Collegian, you will find a “Not Cool at CSU” ad. If you do not support any type of discrimination or harassment, cut this out and display it where others can see it. This will show your solidarity, provide support to those that have been or could be targets, and will help create a culture where everyone can live freely.

On the plaza today from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Student Services office will be doing a variety of awareness and educational initiatives. Please stop by to check it out and to show your support!

If you hear or see hate language and/or bias-driven acts occur, do not sit idle. These are extremely hurtful, and if left unchecked, an atmosphere is created that permits this conduct to escalate to stronger threats and possibly violence.

Being aware of the various forms of oppression and continually educating oneself is something, we feel, that everyone needs to do. The United States of America is increasingly culturally diverse and the world is becoming more globally accessible. If you hear friends or people in your community making inappropriate comments or exhibiting bias, let them know or inform a person/office who can. With compassionate feedback from one another, we can learn a lot about how to get along well with people of all backgrounds.

Ways to advance your awareness and get involved include:

* Multicultural Leadership Retreat

* Center for Applied Studies in American Ethnicity

* Student of Color Retreat

* Women’s Programs and Studies Certificate Program

* Safe Zone Training

* CSU’s Advocacy Offices

* Healing Action Response Team (H.A.R.T.)

We all must play a role in creating a campus, a community, and a world that respects diversity and one another.

Signed,

The Healing Action Response Team, including:

Hedy Berman, Hillel of CSU

Chris Linder, Women’s Programs and Studies

Patricia Vigil, University Counseling Center

Sara Sheikh, G.U.I.D.E./Housing and Dining Services

Anne Hudgens, Executive Director of Campus Life

Emily Laue, Student Representative

Viviane Ephraimson-Abt, Housing and Dining Services/Apartment Life

Craig Chesson, Conflict Resolution and Student Conduct Services

Jody Donovan, Office of Vice President for Student Affairs

Emily Gaspar, Housing and Dining Services/Residence Life

Lisa Culpepper, Student Legal Services

Randy McCrillis, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Student Services

Ryan Barone, Women’s Programs and Studies

Shay Bright, Conflict Resolution and Student Conduct Services