Authors: Grant Meech

The CSU men’s golf team took sixth place in the Mountain West Championships Saturday at the par-72 7,630-yard Crosswater Course in Sunriver, Ore. The University of New Mexico took the team title for the fourth straight year.

New Mexico defeated second place San Diego State by five strokes, while UNLV took third. CSU’s sixth-place finish ranked them above Utah, Air Force and Wyoming.

Jay Choi from New Mexico captured the individual title with three rounds of 72-70-73 to go 1-under-par for the tournament

CSU shot a three round total of 301-283-299 to shoot 19-over-par for the championship.

Junior Derrick Whiting carded three rounds of 79-67-74 to finish tied for 17th place at four-over-par. His performance this season was good enough to be named to the MWC all-conference team.

Freshman Zen Brown recorded three rounds over par at 75-73-75 to finish tied for 20. Rounding out the tournament for the Rams were seniors Nate Pettitt, who tied for 25, and Kevin McAlpine, who finished up for 27. Junior Aaron Weston finished tied for 30.

The opening round didn’t fair well for the Rams, as all players shot well above par except for McAlpine who was 1-under par. The second round was much better for the Rams as Whiting shot 5-under-par, and Pettitt was 2-under par.

But the final round took its toll on the Rams as every player shot over par, including McAlpine, who shot a 9-over 81.

Whiting is the second Ram in as many years to make the all-conference team. McAlpine was named to the team last season.