Authors: DREW GONZALES

After snapping a 10-game losing streak on Sunday, CSU softball split a pair of games Wednesday afternoon against the North Dakota State Bison.

The Rams took command of the first game early when they scored five runs in the first inning. CSU (24-10, 4-10 in conference) had little trouble the rest of the game, finishing off the Bison with the mercy rule at 15-0 in five innings.

“Our hitters jumped all over their pitchers, and Jessica (Strickland) was pitching very well,” said head coach Mary Yori.

Junior Jessica Strickland allowed only two hits in four scoreless innings before freshmen Marybeth Culp came on to close out the victory.

Much of game 2 was a pitching duel between freshman Kim Klabough and North Dakota State senior Amber Garrett. The Bison looked poised to win, but with two outs and two strikes in the bottom of the seventh senior Rachelle Padeway belted a two-run home run to send the game into extra innings.

“I wasn’t really nervous,” said Padaway. “I knew I could get it done, that’s why you play the game.”

That home run was the Rams’ only offense of the game. In the top of the 12th inning, senior Tara Harbert’s error on a ground ball allowed North Dakota State to score the game-winning run.

CSU will resume conference play this weekend, with a pair of road double-headers against BYU Friday, and Utah Saturday.