Authors: Megan Schulz

Upon reading my colleague Ryan Chapman’s commentary on the Dixie Chicks last week, I was inspired to impart my own opinion about a member of the music industry. But this time, the opinion is favorable.

I would like to commend Pink on her music video “Stupid Girls.” She serves not only to entertain, but also to make a valuable social commentary. Instead of commenting on the war in Iraq, per se, she chooses to satirize stars Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson and Lindsay Lohan, among others.

I can appreciate what Pink has to say because most of it is true. Young girls tend to idolize buxom celebrities without being aware of the materialistic, selfish lifestyles they lead.

When Paris Hilton’s sex tape emerged, I would have liked to see her family shun her and perhaps even cut off her trust fund as punishment for such tacky, vulgar behavior. Instead, her fame skyrocketed and she was represented as a victim. Being that she was 19 years old at the time and a consenting adult, I fail to see how she was a victim of anything other than stupidity in the situation.

Sadly, these are the kinds of people we aspire to be like and turn to for lifestyle advice. I would like to think that the only legacy Paris will leave with us is her catchy phrase, “That’s hot,” but I know that her money and looks will grant her much more power than that.

Like Pink, I worry about the young girls of America. Sure, she probably wants to sell records just like everyone else, but for some reason I think that she truly believes in what she sings about. Her lyrics make a lot more sense to me than a line such as this: “I’m changin’ grillz everyday, like Jay change clothes.” In case you didn’t recognize that piece of songwriting genius, it’s Nelly.

There’s hardly a scrap of celebrities available today who are decent enough to be admired by the youth of America. Lindsay Lohan admitted to being bulimic in a “Vanity Fair” article and then later retracted the statement, claiming the reporter twisted her words.

The behavior of binging and purging is a topic that Pink attacks in her video. I don’t necessarily agree with making fun of eating disorders because the people who are controlled by them truly have a disease. But the unrealistic body images that trigger eating disorders deserved to be attacked.

My unrealistic aspirations would have me believe that my CSU peers are immune to the kinds of behavior that Pink ridicules. Yet, judging by how many people love Jessica Simpson, many of us still think it’s OK, even adorable, to be stupid.

Stupidity can take many forms. There are the girls we are burdened with on a daily basis who act dumber than a box of rocks. You can spot a few of them at the Recreation Center. They’ll be the ones working out in skimpy clothes and full makeup, probably not raising their heart rate 10 beats faster than if they were lying down.

Newsflash: Women aren’t objects, and I would like to thank Pink for pointing this out because, apparently, we have forgotten. Hopefully, she keeps her comments coming and continues to provide us with a dose of reality now and again.

Megan Schulz is a sophomore technical journalism major, her column runs every Tuesday.