Authors: Ryan Skeels

Having not had a chance to do much upcoming movie research lately due to my impending successful completion of school, I hadn’t managed to glimpse even a teaser for this weekend’s release of “The Sentinel.” I was a bit nervous, blindly purchasing a ticket for a movie with a title that’s just bursting with that horrid Steven Seagal action-extravaganza sound, but decided to take the plunge anyway. Nothing could be worse than “On Deadly Ground” could it?

Much to my satisfaction, Seagal was as far away from appearing in this flick, leaving the action to the 24-hour superhero Keifer Sutherland and suit-wearing fiend Michael Douglas. With no Secret Service agent having ever pulled the ol’ Benedict Arnold one-two on the presidency in the 141 years of its existence, it just seems high time for an attempt.

Douglas takes on the role of Pete Garrison, a long time agent for the Secret Service and a man highly regarded among his peers, having taken a bullet for Reagan. When word of a rat and traitor on the inside gets out, the whole service is required to take a lie-detector test. Unfortunately for Garrison, he has a mind full of worries about other matters and fails the polygraph with flying colors. When Sutherland’s character, Agent Breckinridge, shows up to take him down to the clink, it’s all Garrison can do to evade arrest and crack the case in an attempt to mimic Harrison Ford’s search for the one-armed man.

After leaving the movie I felt a couple of emotions. First of all, I was surprised I was in the theater for two hours. Secondly, I was angry that Keifer once again makes himself out to be some sort of door, and lastly, confused as to why the movie seems so cut and dry, case open and closed. Then I came home, did a little research and solved the confusion; this is actually based on a novel adapted to the big screen by George Nolfi, the same fool who attempted the adaptation of Michael Crichton’s “Timeline.”

Ten minutes into the flick you know agent Garrison will get into some trouble, take evasive action and, in the end, it’s going to be all right. If you ever plan on making a “Fugitive” copycat movie, at least do the right thing, assign Tommy Lee Jones to the case and add some spice to the flick.

2 out of 5 ramheads.

Ryan Skeels can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com