Authors: Ryan Skeels

For those of you who strayed as far from the video game “Geekdom” that enveloped a lot of us in the ’90s, you probably never heard of the horror that is “Silent Hill.”

Even though I was a “Tony Hawk Pro Skater” addict in 1999 and forfeited most of my school, social and skating life for it, I managed to find a little time to pop in something else now and again.

I can also honestly vouch, and I don’t think I’m alone, that the fear I felt while playing “Silent Hill” is something I’ve never come close to experiencing throughout my entire horror movie-saturated lifestyle in the past five years. Even though some pretty big pieces of the plot, such as the gender of the main character and the whole reasoning behind her trip, are totally ass-backward, the movie stuck pretty accurately to the game as I remember it.

In the flick Radha Mitchell, Dakota Fanning’s mother from “Man on Fire,” takes the lead role as Rose Da Silva, the wearisome mother of the worry-worthy little girl Sharon Da Silva. Sharon has put on quite the troubling display as of late and has been sleepwalking into near-death experiences while incoherently rambling about some town named “Silent Hill.”

Not able to take the curiosity any longer, Rose takes her daughter on a search for a ghost town in West Virginia, which “coincidentally” is of the same name. Just after crashing through the gates blocking the road to the town, a girl appears in the road causing Rose to crash the car and knock herself out.

Upon waking up, Rose finds Sharon has run away. Searching for her daughter, Rose stumbles up the foggy, ash-covered road to a deserted “Silent Hill” with a few problems of its own. In the search to save her daughter, Rose must face monsters and creatures of unspeakable horror and fight back the living darkness before it destroys them both.

It always irks me when directors and screenwriters decide to try and “update” the background of a movie to make it more appealing to the modern day mainstream society, like the jerks did for “War of the Worlds.”

Director of “The Brotherhood of the Wolf,” took on this project and deserves props for being 46 years old and making the best video game adaptation to date.

There was, however, a lot of the movie that went too fast, didn’t make much sense and lamely integrated parts of the game that should have been left out, such as the cell phone that announces when a monster is near or the overuse of the bus station maps. There are so many times I’ve seen a movie because I read the book and left wishing I hadn’t seen it. Never did I think I’d ever promote playing a video game in this column, but I guess there always has to be a first.

3 out of 5 ramheads

Ryan Skeels can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com