Rams gear up for Showdown

Authors: Grant Meech

The second-ranked CSU men’s club lacrosse team will travel to Denver Saturday to do battle with their archrivals the Colorado Buffaloes at Invesco Field at Mile High for the third annual Rocky Mountain Showdown.

The Showdown is being sponsored by the Denver Outlaws, the expansion team for Major League Lacrosse, Invesco Field at Mile High and the Colorado State Lacrosse Alumni Association. The game will start at 7 p.m., after Cherry Creek High School faces off against Denver East High School, two of the top high school teams in Colorado.

The first Rocky Mountain Showdown took place at the Pepsi Center in which the teams played the indoor version of the sport, box lacrosse. And last year, the game went back outdoors when they met in Highlands Ranch at Shea Stadium. CSU holds the advantage in the series, having beat the Buffs both times.

After losing to BYU last week, head coach Flip Naumberg said this game holds more than bragging rights.

“This game is really important,” Naumberg said. “We need to beat them so we can get our seeding back for the (USLIA) tournament.”

This marks the first collegiate lacrosse game held at Invesco Field, where the Outlaws will play their home games this summer.

Naumberg added that this match-up might be the biggest of the season for the Rams.

“(Colorado) is our biggest rival,” Naumberg said. “They haven’t beat us in a while and they think they have the team to do it.”

This game could be used as a recruiting tool for the Rams, as several players on the CSU roster are from local high schools, including Cherry Creek and Denver East.

Freshman Steve Lundberg and junior Ian Wilson starred at Cherry Creek, while sophomore Theo Mooney attended Denver East.

The pre-game tailgate is being sponsored by Budweiser and will feature $1 beers and a live performance by Brethren Fast. Ticket prices are $8 for adults and $5 for children.

Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com