Authors: Kristen Majors

All of those people screaming in front of Morgan Library at 1 p.m. haven’t gone crazy, they’re just releasing stress.

Active Minds, a new student organization on campus that hopes to reduce the stigma of mental illnesses and educate people about the issue, is hosting a Scream Fest. More than 40 colleges nationwide participate in the event that is partly sponsored by the Anxiety Disorders Association of America. This is the first event that Active Minds chapters across the nation have participated in together, and the group plans to make Scream Fest an annual event.

“We want to reduce stress before finals and raise awareness about anxiety,” said Meghan Malone, a senior psychology major and secretary of CSU’s Active Minds.

Becca Frazee, a junior psychology major and chapter president of Active Minds, said screaming has been proven to release stress.

Kathy McKinney, a founder of and consultant to the organization, agrees there are psychological benefits to screaming.

“It would help release stress because it is a form of catharsis,” she said. “It’s a chance to be with other people who are experiencing stress, so it’s also a chance to normalize the situation.”

A recess event, including hula-hoop, hopscotch, jump rope and foursquare competitions will follow the group scream. There will be candy and prizes for the participants.

“(The recess) is to kind of get back to being a kid,” Malone said. “It seems to be something that a lot of people are pretty ready to do, just let out a big scream at 1 p.m.”

Kristen Majors can be reached at campus@collegian.com

—————–

Active Minds will also show the movie “Virgin Suicides” at 6:30 p.m. in Clark C 144.