Authors: Trevor Edy

Three more student athletes will call themselves Rams next fall when they join Dale Layer and the rest of the CSU men’s basketball team: Junior college transfers Tim Denson and Tyler Smith, along with high school all-American honorable mention Ryan Vermeulen.

The new additions came in light of the first day of the late signing period Wednesday– Smith’s signing became official Thursday.

Denson, a 6-foot-1 guard hailing from Fullerton College in California, helped his team to a state championship and a 37-0 record in two seasons with the Hornets. He was named state tournament MVP and first team all-league in his second season at Fullerton.

Before averaging 14 points and three rebounds at Fullerton, Denson averaged 20 points and four assists at Santiago High school in Corona, Calif., where he garnered league MVP and two-time first team honors. He will join senior-to-be Corey Lewis, and next season’s sophomore Stephan Gilling in the backcourt for the Rams.

The coaching staff also added talent in the post with 6-foot-10 high school stand-out Ryan Vermeulen.

Vermeulen, out of Modesto high school in Modesto, Calif., helped his team to a second place finish in the California sectionals, all while averaging 14 points and 14 rebounds a game.

Not only was he an all-American honorable mention, but Vermeulen also received first team all-league and all-district honors in his senior season. The 250-pound freshman will play behind 7-foot center Stuart Creason next season.

Smith was the last to sign. The 6-foot-3 guard out of Northeastern Junior College, in Sterling, Colo., signed his letter of intent to play for Layer Thursday. Smith is possibly the most distinguished of the recruits so far, choosing CSU over the chance to play for coach Bob Knight and the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

“Tyler is an experienced player,” head coach Dale Layer said in statement Thursday. “He has the ability to play three different positions and will be a welcome addition to our program.”

Smith averaged 20 points, six rebounds and four assists for Northeastern as well as being named the Region IX player of the year. Prior to his tenure at NJC, he attended Depaul University for one season.

The 200-pound guard joins new recruits Jarrel Smith, Jake Neilson, Alton Robinson, Vermeulen, and Denson as the newcomers to a rearranged Ram squad.