Authors: Grant Meech

Zen Brown shot a school record nine-under-par 63 in the final round of the PING Cougar Classic, Saturday, in Provo, Utah at the Riverside Country Club.

The 18-year-old freshman bested the previous CSU record of eight-under-par 64, held by Nolan Martin and Martin Laird. Laird shot 64 once in 2003 and twice in 2004, and Martin tied the same record in the same year.

Brown’s record-breaking performance helped the Rams finish tied for sixth at the tournament.

“Zen put together a great round of golf, he shot well,” said head coach Jaime Bermel.

The tie for sixth place marks the team’s tenth straight top-10 finish of the season.

The Rams shot 283-284-275 for a three round total of 22-under-par. Senior Kevin McAlpine finished tied for 23rd, and junior Derrick Whiting finished tied for 29.

Senior Nate Pettitt finished one stroke behind Whiting to finish at tied for 31.

Other Mountain West teams competing in the tournament were UNLV (4th), Wyoming (9th), Utah (10th), and Air Force (T13).

Brown was a four-year letterman in golf at Pomona High School in Arvada, and he was selected as an all-state player his junior and senior years.

The rest of the men’s golf team will hope to mimic Brown’s performance at the Mountain West Conference Championship in Sunriver, Oregon, which starts on Thursday.