Authors: Hailey McDonald

At Mike’s sub and pasta restaurant there is no weighing your food for portion control. The meats and cheeses are sliced before your eyes and the bread is brought in daily from a local bakery.

“I tell my employees, ‘Make every sandwich as if it were for your boyfriend, or for your mother,'” owner Mike said.

This locally owned and operated joint is a diamond in the rough as far sub shops go. Most chains produce a tasty alternative to greasy burgers and fries, but they quickly blend into the mass of all the other fast-food options. Mike’s quality seems impenetrable due to his feeding philosophy.

He not only offers sandwiches, but also pasta dishes, salads, soup bowls and desserts. The restaurant reviewing board and myself had an across-the-board food line-up.

The lasagna dinner included a hearty slice of the main entrZe, a piece of whole-wheat garlic bread and a beverage.

While the portion and flavor were more than adequate, it was noted that the lasagna itself could have used more meat.

Although summer is around the corner, Mike’s homemade chili cannot be disregarded simply because of the approaching warmer weather. Served in an enormous bread bowl, the chili is full of flavor, but it’s not really all that punchy for those who crave a dish that will make you breathe fire. As the entrZe is put together, freshly grated cheddar is layered on top of the bowl to make a melt-in-your mouth experience out of a classic dish.

If you’re in the mood for a sub, you will not be disappointed with the selection at Mike’s. With all the old favorites you can think of and other variations exclusive to Mike’s, there is an option for all. All the sandwich extras and condiments were fresh and excellent complements to the high quality and large selection of meats and cheeses.

I probably wouldn’t head to Mike’s if I were in the mood for a specifically vegetarian meal. Although there are menu items for anti-meat folk, it is quite obvious the best dishes on the menu are targeted toward carnivores.

Not only was our food exceptional, Mike himself sat down and chatted with us during our meal. Friendly and motivated, he is clearly dedicated to pleasing his customers and taking whatever steps that requires. He prides himself on maintaining a sanitary working environment and buffering out competition with his high standards for his product.

Although I would have expected steeper prices for such delicious food, Mike’s is reasonable for a student budget. He offers a student special consisting of an 8-inch sub, chips and a drink for $6. You can expect most meals to run you from $5 to $8 dollars and as a non-expensive tasty treat to follow your meal, Mike’s has sno-cones with a line-up of flavors that will no doubt have you longing for the coming summer break.

———————

Mike’s is located at:

902 W. Drake Road #4, in the Market Center on the northeast corner of Drake and Shields

Food: A

Service: A

Drinks: no alcoholic drinks (but kudos for two kinds of diet soda)

Atmosphere: B