Authors: Sean Star

Dropping all four games over the weekend, the CSU water polo team extended its school-record losing streak to eight games. The four losses for the Rams were part of the UC Davis Shootout in Davis, Calif.

The team’s first loss came against No. 15 UC Davis by a score of 13-2. Sophomores Annie Quinn and Kristen Buttke scored the only two goals for the Rams. Goalie Holly Stanfill recorded four saves in the loss.

UC Davis’ Ashley Greenwood scored four goals for the tournament-host Aggies.

CSU was next defeated by the No. 16 ranked Indiana Hoosiers by a score of 10-1. Indiana dominated throughout, scoring the first 10 goals of the game. Quinn found the back of the net for the second time that day to record the team’s only goal in the match.

Stanfill made three saves for CSU while Indiana’s Melissa Soria scored three times for the Hoosiers.

The loss was the team’s second of the season to Indiana.

On Sunday the Rams lost a nail biter to UC Santa Cruz 4-3. This loss marked the third time during their eight-game losing streak that the Rams lost by one point.

CSU dropped its second game of the day to UC San Diego by a score of 13-6. Freshman Monica Schuh played well for the Rams in their final game of the weekend, recording a hat trick for her team.

“It isn’t that we’re playing that bad, it’s that we’re playing some really tough teams,” said head coach John Mattos.

CSU water polo will play its final regular season game at 1 p.m. April 15 at Edora Pool and Ice Center, trying to end its losing streak against Colorado College.

CSU is then scheduled to compete in the Western Water Polo Association Championships starting April 28 in San Diego.

Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com