Authors: DREW GONZALES

CSU’s Interim Athletic Director Christine Susemihl announced Friday that Brian Bedard, currently an assistant with the Rams, will replace the retiring Del Hessel as head track and field coach in June.

In a press release, Susemihl had nothing but good things to say about CSU’s current head coach.

“Del has earned the respect of his coaching peers throughout the nation for his success at CSU,” said Susemihl. “He has brought the program to national prominence, and his contributions are invaluable.”

Brian Bedard was also singing Hessel’s praises in the press release.

“Working under Doug Max (Hessel’s predecessor) and Del Hessel, I feel very fortunate. They are great examples of what a head coach should be like.”

Bedard has been in charge of the Rams’ throwing program for more than a decade and has led it to national recognition. He has very high expectations for the future of CSU track & field.

“My vision for the future is to always continue to get better. I believe we all have a like-minded vision of where we want this program to go; to win more conference championships and have greater impact on the national scene.”

As for this year’s team, it was a good weekend, as seven more Rams met provisional regional qualifying marks at the CU Invitational. CSU now has 20 athletes who are qualified for regionals.

The Rams were victorious in both the men’s and women’s 400-meter relay. Aside from helping win the relay for the women, junior Megan Fox took first in the 100-meter sprint, and finished second in the 200.

After winning on Saturday, junior Justin Hazzard stayed undefeated in the 110-meter hurdles Sunday, and senior Dylan Spitzer ran a career-best time on his way to winning the 400-meter hurdles.

CSU’s throwers remained dominant in Boulder, with seniors Matt McKinney, Nate Heyrman and junior Trey Eder sweeping the top three spots in the shot put. The Rams also swept the top five spots in the women’s high jump. Sophomore Anne McLaughlin finished in first place and juniors Rae Backes and Katie Lloyd tied for second.

Sophomore Danielle Korb met regional qualifying marks after winning the women’s 1,500-meter run. Sophomore April Thomas and freshmen Kristen Hemphill took first and second in the women’s 3,000-meter run and freshmen Niomi Ridge recorded the best time in the women’s 400-meter hurdles.

Saturday some Rams will be competing in California, while the rest of the team will be in Arizona. CSU will not have a home meet again until April 22, when they’ll host the Jack Christiansen invitational.