Tough weekend for softball

Authors: DREW GONZALES

CSU softball went 1-3 this weekend in a pair of double-headers against the University of Nevada-Las Vegas (UNLV) and San Diego State University (SDSU).

Sunday, the Rams played two games against an Aztec squad that features a very talented pitching staff.

“They do have some very good pitching, but we’ve been hitting well all season, so we didn’t prepare much differently,” said head coach Mary Yori.

The Rams hit effectively against SDSU in the first game, tallying nine hits. The trouble was turning those hits into runs, as they could only get one run. Freshmen pitcher Kim Klabough had a good outing, allowing three runs on only three hits, but there just wasn’t enough run support, and the Rams fell 3-1.

An excellent performance from Aztec sophomore pitcher Christina Ross also contributed to the Ram loss. Ross threw a complete game, allowing only one run on nine hits.

Game 2 of the double-header was very similar to game 1, with the Rams struggling to get runs. Aztec senior pitcher Celina Velasquez pitched her own complete game, allowing only one run on four hits. The Rams lost game 2 by a score of 4-1.

Friday’s double-header against UNLV was split between the two teams. The Rams got their lone victory of the weekend with an 8-2 win in game 1 but suffered a narrow loss in the second game, 5-4.

In the opening game, senior Katie Dean and sophomore Julia Kloppe had three RBIs each, and sophomore Lauren Cusick drove in the Rams’ other two runs. Klabough recorded yet another complete game en route to improving her season record to 12-2.

“Kim pitched really well,” Yori stated. “The more innings she gets, the more comfortable she is out there. She’s starting to pitch like she’s capable of.”

Later that day in game 2, CSU had a lead in the late innings, but was unable to close out the win. Coach Yori didn’t blame the loss on a lack of effort, but rather things simply not going their way.

“We didn’t get the breaks,” Yori said. “We never capitalized on the errors that they were making, but they took advantage of all of our mistakes.”

The Rams dropped to 22-12 on the season, with a conference record of 3-3. They will look to bounce back this weekend when they will host a pair of double-headers against conference foes Utah and BYU.