Authors: Natasha Grunden

Glitz, glamour and gorgeous dresses had one thing in common on Saturday night – men.

Multicolored light flooded the Lory Student Center Commons for the annual Drag Show in honor of Transgendered, Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian Awareness Days (T’BGLAD).

The Drag Show, considered the most popular event of T’BGLAD, filled the LSC Commons and had a turnout twice as large as last year, said Peter Dearth, junior theater major and chair of T’BGLAD events. It was also Dearth’s first experience in drag as “Galinda Upland.”

“It’s a little weird at first, but hilarious and fun,” he said. “All night I had people coming up to me saying, ‘Peter, I love your hair!'”

Students attended the event for a variety of reasons.

“I came because I heard it was popular and fun,” said Kelsey Ray, sophomore business major.

Drag queen Jade, whose actual name is Hadeis Safi, a junior liberal arts major, hosted the event. “She” took the stage, teasing the audience to tip the performers since the money was going to be donated to the Northern Colorado AIDS Project. After the first act featuring “Southern Bo and his hos,” Jade said: “That was “Gold Digger” by Kanye West, and that means we want some of your money.”

Audience participation was strongly encouraged. Nearly every time Jade took the stage she encouraged the audience to get up on stage with the performers.

“You can come up here,” she said. “We don’t bite… hard.”

Showcasing some convincing drag queens and kings with names such as “Betty Cocker” and “Valentino Verde,” the lip syncs touched on many different styles of music, including several hip hop numbers, Rod Stewart’s “Da Ya Think I’m Sexy?” a country medley, and several acts dedicated to the musicals “Wicked” and “Rent.”

“My favorite part of the night was that I got to perform with my friend Bryce Looney who moved to Texas,” said performer Mike Clarkson, freshman international studies and Spanish major. “He came back for the show tonight and we did “Take Me or Leave Me” from ‘Rent,’ but as lesbians instead.”

The final act featured Jade lip-syncing “I Will Survive” which ended with a stage full of performers and audience members.

“The night went well,” Dearth said. “A lot of people have never been to a drag show before. This is good for everyone to see this aspect of the gay community most people don’t see.”

Natasha Grunden can be reached at campus@collegian.com