Authors: Trevor Edy

After a disappointing 9-20 season, the CSU women’s basketball team suffered even more losses last week. Five players from the 2005-06 team have decided not to come back and play for newly hired coach Jen Warden.

Redshirt freshman Casie Shepherd and junior guard Liz Kramer headline the list of players who will not be returning for next season.

“I quit because I don’t respect (Warden) as a coach or the way she treated me and coached me,” said Shepherd during a phone interview Tuesday. “I don’t understand her coaching style.

Along with departing seniors Melissa Dennett, Vanessa Espinoza and Lindsay

Thomas, guard Justin Square and mid-season transfer Molly Hayes will look elsewhere for other opportunities.

Kramer has been offered to keep her scholarship to continue her academic and athletic career at CSU by competing in track and field, but has been discontinued from the basketball team.

As of now juniors Marilyn Mouton and Molly Nohr are going to be the only players back from the 2005-06 team. Sara Hunter is scheduled to meet with Warden today. With all the departures, the team will lose 82 percent of their offense.

“I think the program is going down hill, she tore our whole team apart thinking that all these freshmen are going to come in and compete in the Mountain West Conference,” Shepherd said.

Trevor Edy can be reached at sports@collegian.com.