Authors: Sara Crocker The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Starting Saturday, a local pizza chain will help the Denver Rescue Mission raise money for the second year in a row.

Abo’s Pizza, at 200 W. Prospect Road, will be working with the mission again to help raise funds that will go toward the basic needs of the mission, like food and amenities to help make those who stay at the shelter more comfortable. The mission is a non-profit organization that provides food, shelter, clothing and education to the homeless to help them get back on their feet.

The fundraising effort will run through April 30.

Datjaeda Davis, public relations and event coordinator for the mission, said spring is a good time for this fundraiser because donations slow after the holiday season.

“(People) forget the need, which is still out there,” she said. Davis said there are an estimated 10,000 homeless in Colorado, and the mission provides more than 500 meals everyday. “Homelessness and hunger don’t take a season off.”

Unlike last year, Abo’s will not be taking donations in their restaurants. Instead, donations will be taken online at www.denverrescuemission.org by clicking on the Abo’s logo.

“It is primarily an online fundraising effort to keep things as simple as possible,” said Suzanne Sylte, public relations representative for Abo’s.

For those who don’t have access to a computer, donations can be mailed to P.O. Box 5206 Denver, CO 80217.

Donations can be given in increments anywhere from $10 to $500. For a $10 donation, the donator will receive a certificate in the mail for a free slice of pizza. For $500, Abo’s will provide a pizza party for 30 to 35 people. Donations are not limited to these increments, but they are there for determining what Abo’s will offer as a reward.

It costs the mission almost $2 for each meal it provides, and a $10 donation can provide six meals.

Though extra money can be hard to come by for college students, Sylte recommends pooling money together if students want to make a donation.

Also, for those who cannot make a monetary contribution, Davis said the mission is always looking for volunteers.

While this is the second year for this fundraiser, Abo’s and the mission have worked on other fundraising efforts in the past. Denay Peake, manager of Abo’s, said she is looking forward to the fundraiser.

“I feel like it’s a good way to give back to the community,” she said.

———-

Donations can be made at www.denverrescuemission.org

Donation increments:

$10-Free slice of pizza

$45-Free 18” pizza with three toppings

$95-Free pizza party for 12-14 people

$500-Free pizza party for 30-35 people