Authors: Collegian Editorial Staff

Recent allegations that the federal government is not only monitoring on U.S. citizens, but also actually collecting data upon government protestors, should raise a flag among the most patriotic Americans.

If these allegations are true, then the question should be asked: What form of governance have we reverted to?

Regardless of one’s position on current politics, how comfortable are you with the government collecting data regarding your political stance? This is a slippery slope to say the least. Once the process has begun, where does it end? Today war protestors, tomorrow you and your beliefs.

Perhaps this viewpoint seems Orwellian, but often there is truth to be found in the most outrageous of ideas.

Little, if anything, the current administration has told the general public has proven to be true or valid. If the current reasoning behind monitoring citizens proves to be true, we are anxiously waiting to stand corrected.

“No big deal”

So the government is collecting data on war protestors. Big deal.

The government has a right to keep track of what is going on in its country. The FBI didn’t interfere with the protestors in any way. There was no infringement of constitutional rights. The people who were being monitored were still allowed to exercise their first amendment right. So what is the problem?

If you’ve got nothing to hide, it doesn’t matter if the government knows what you are doing, as long as they allow you the freedom to act as you choose within the law.

The government should monitor activities that could potentially end in violence to protect the innocent citizens of America.

If the government is just watching and keeping records, it doesn’t hurt anyone. When it starts to infringe upon rights, then it matters. Until then, let it watch if it wants to.