Authors: Aaron Schoonmaker

The best teams in the nation win the games they’re supposed to; it’s really quite simple. For the CSU baseball team, they made nothing short of a statement this past weekend in their attempt to reclaim the top spot in the nation.

“They were games we should win,” said senior Brooks Purdy. “But we still need to play the games and show it.”

Following a perfect road trip to Arizona for CSU, Wyoming became the latest victim on the Rams’ rampage. Taking two from the Cowboys Saturday, 11-2 and 12-3, CSU crossed home plate 19 times in a lopsided 19-9 victory Sunday afternoon.

“I think Arizona really carried over for us,” said head coach Mike Abernathy. “We just need to focus on getting a couple more in the conference so we can write it off again this season.”

In Sunday’s offensive onslaught, infielder Caleb Bond put on one of the finest individual performances of the young season. Bond went 6-for-6 with two home runs (one being a grand slam), two triples and 12 runs batted in.

“Caleb is in a groove right now. He’s fielding and he’s just hitting the heck out of the ball,” Abernathy said. “He’s a guy that I feel should be considered for the draft.”

Outscoring Wyoming 42-14 in the three games, CSU has now opened up a 2.5-game lead in the Rocky Mountain North Conference over Colorado 5-3 (4-3 in conference).

The Rams are currently in the midst of an 11-game winning streak, and have won 13 of their last 14 games, improving their record 14-4 (7-1).

“It was a good weekend,” said Purdy. “We’re playing well right now.”

CSU will play at home Wednesday against Trinidad State Junior College (16-6) in a doubleheader starting at 1 p.m. It will be the first meeting between the two teams since late February when Trinidad took three-of-four from the Rams just before CSU’s winning streak began. Trinidad is coming off a trip to Texas where they played six games in four days.

Thursday, Otero Junior College (12-4) will come to CSU for yet another afternoon doubleheader for the Rams. Otero took both meetings against CSU earlier this year.

“We’re playing our best ball right now,” said Abernathy. “Everything is coming together for us.”

——

Wednesday: Trinidad State Junior College, Ram Field, 1 p.m.

Thursday: Otero Junior College, Ram Field, 1 p.m.