Editorial out of line

This is in response to your Monday editorial about the military needing to be held to a higher standard when it comes to drinking. I would first like to point out the high number of college-aged drinking that goes on at CSU. Nothing was said of this and yet the military and CSU share the same age demographic.

Secondly, I would like to ask you to consider the immense amount of stress our soldiers are under. Consider the stress of driving down the road not knowing if a piece of trash or some parked car is going to explode as you drive by it. Consider the stress of waking up at 2 a.m. to the sound of incoming mortar fire and shuffling around in the dark looking for your body armor so you can run to a bunker. Consider the stress of being away from your friends and family for a whole year in a combat zone and returning home with the very real chance of doing it all over again.

I would finally like to point out the fact that almost one in three returning Iraq and Afghanistan veterans show some signs of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, a very real and very debilitating condition. Soldiers do not see themselves as being above the law because they have been to war. The military instills a sense of duty and honor that the average college student couldn’t begin to fathom. These young men and women deserve your respect, not your judgment.

Joseph Blunn

U.S. Army Reservist

Proud Iraqi Veteran