Authors: Jenny Ivy

It will be a night of rock intended to spark a wave of change.

Called “The Night,” this SAM Spady Foundation event Sunday night will shatter the spell of concert silence that has hung over Moby Arena for the last four years.

Not since 2002 has the arena seen a concert, when alternative bands 311 and Hoobastank lit up the stage that spring.

“We’re excited to bring music back to rock Moby,” said junior Kevin Buecher, a 20-year-old business management major and president of Power On Productions, a student entrepreneurial venture that has gathered enough local support to bring this night of music to more than 5,000 students.

A number of sponsors, including KCSU, University House and CSU C.R.E.W. are hoping the event will ignite a significant positive change of mind among students who have held witness to tragedies such as the 2004 death of Samantha Spady.

Also sharing the stage with the bands will be SAM Spady Foundation board member and former CSU football player, Reza Zedah, who will speak on the benefits of responsible living.

“The death of Sam Spady really brought tragedy home, but we wanted to make a change even before it happened,” said junior Ryan Ahart, a 21-year-old business management major who has helped Buecher and Power On Productions gain momentum, helping to return a concert back to the Moby stage.

With the help of the CSU marketing club and the CSU concert team, in the span of six months Buecher and Ahart have launched Power On Productions and “The Night” from what was essentially a class project under the tutelage of business professor Garry Krum into a recognized production company with the advertising help of One Tribe Creative, a national marketing firm.

And it has been a concert six months in the making. At first, the production company proposal was simple: bring a concert back to Moby Arena. Simple enough on paper, but in reality there were a number of questions to be answered such as what band(s) will play? When are they available to play? And on what date can bands be brought that wouldn’t impose on other events?

To answer those questions, Buecher and Ahart turned to Emilia Parker, program and event coordinator with the CSU facilities department. While confirming both bands could play the March date, it was just a matter on the part of the Power On Productions to find funding and work with facilities in order to get students through the doors without any safety concerns.

“The setup for a concert is just like the setup for a speaker,” Parker said.

While the stage set up might be the same, Mikhail Gorbachev’s speech last April didn’t exactly bring students to their feet in a dancing frenzy. Then it was 2,000 students. Come Sunday night, Moby’s walls will be rocking with 5,000 fans.

“It’s like a dream for us,” said Set Forth guitarist, 22-year-old University of Northern Colorado student Tyler Ward. “None of us (in Set Forth) have ever played a show this size.”

Ward said Set Forth is anxious to get the Fort Collins exposure.

And while CSU students get the privilege of an on-campus concert in their own CSU backyard, Buecher said he hopes students will not miss out on the whole focus of the event. He hopes this night of change will get students into the habit of making smarter and more beneficial choices long after the guitars have been unplugged and the stage has been knocked down.

“There’s something special about music that makes a more empowering message,” Buecher said. “We want students to start making choices they know they should be making in order to achieve their dreams.”

——-

Doors open at 6 p.m.

The first 1,200 ticket-holders will get the floor for an up-close-and-personal view of the stage

Set Forth will take the stage at 7:30 p.m.

Reza Zedah will preside over the stage at 8:15 p.m.

A grand prize will be awarded to one student at 8:40 p.m.

At 9 p.m., headliner The Fray will take the stage

An after party will be held at The Lighthouse, 709 Wagner Dr.