Authors: Jenny Ivy

Having already toured with their own icon, Iron Maiden, metal rockers Funeral For a Friend (FFAF) seem to be bridging the generation gap left from the residue that time has put between big hair band fans and Warped Tour, post-millennium punkers.

Hooking up U.S. gigs with the likes of Linkin Park and Korn, FFAF is hurdling toward a time sandwich linking rock’s past with the next generation of 20-somethings’ love of multiple headliner tours.

Hailing from South Wales, FFAF most recently stopped by Denver’s Marquis Theater on Sunday.

“We have that British kind of flare through us,” said 29-year-old FFAF guitarist, Darran Smith in a phone interview.

While that British flare is fanning itself across the United States and the globe in their current headline tour, the five-piece band is no stranger to success in the United Kingdom. Their first record, “Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation” went gold there and produced three Top 20 singles.

Hoping to get the same response from U.S. fans their latest album released in November, “Hours” was produced in Seattle, Wash.

“It’s a challenge to get big in the U.S.,” Smith said. “The genre is growing constantly.”

Stemming from their U.S.-produced album, the band’s video for the single “History” stirred up talks of a political outcry from the band for its content.

The video is based around the effects of miner’s strikes in the late 1980s. Since band members grew up near mines in the mountains of South Wales, they agreed that while the concept is close to their hearts, Smith fervently addressed the fact they try to stray away from any political heat.

“None of us are kind of super-interested in politics,” Smith said. “We’re really honest about our music and what we do.”

After their spring headline tour, FFAF is scheduled to hit up the U.K. at the 2006 Download Festival featuring U.S. rock chart toppers, Tool, Metallica and Guns N’ Roses.

“We’re always challenging ourselves,” Smith said. “For us, it’s not just a couple of albums and then heading off into the sunset.”

Jenny Ivy can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com