Authors: Aaron Schoonmaker

CSU baseball improved their overall record to 11-4 on the season by winning all five games in an Arizona road trip over Spring Break.

On the weekend following a loss to Northern Colorado, which cost CSU their No. 1 ranking in the nation, the Rams took two straight from CU (4-2) in their home opener on the Saturday heading into break. Their Sunday doubleheader against CU was snowed out.

Leapfrogging CSU to the nation’s top spot is Virginia Tech. They were able to make the jump all the way from the No. 7 ranking. CSU still sits second and will anxiously await the new polls following their success this week.

On Wednesday, CSU beat Illinois Central CC 4-3 and Grand Canyon College 12-3 in a doubleheader. The Rams went on to defeat Chandler Gilbert CC 4-3 and 11-4 to cap off their perfect break away from home.

“They (Chandler) were probably the best team we’ve seen all year,” said senior second baseman David Schultz. “Maybe the best team we will see.”

In the final game of the week, CSU played Hesston College, edging them 8-7.

“You can’t really ask for more than 5-0,” Schultz said about the team’s success over break.

The defending national champion Rams now have won eight straight games and 10 of its last 11.

The snowed-out games against CU are rescheduled for April 15, squeezing into an already busy schedule for the Rams. The team will focus first on this weekend at home against a winless Wyoming team (0-4).

Up Next:

Noon, Saturday, CSU vs. Wyoming

Noon, Sunday, CSU vs. Wyoming

Aaron Schoonmaker can be reached at sports@collegian.com