Authors: Drew Haugen

More events for Women's History Month

March 22

Noon to 1 p.m.

Lory Student Center room 220

Women at Noon: "The Leadville Trail 100: I Remember When Three Miles was a Long Way to Run," by Shay Bright

March 24

9 to 11 a.m.

Office of Women's Programs and Studies – Student Services Building

"CSU Feminist Art Coffee Hour"

March 29

Noon to 1 p.m.

LSC room 220

"Still Doing it-Video," by Jen Krafchick

March 30

10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Clothing Swap. Any clothing not swapped will be donated to the Cesar Chavez clothing drive

Virginia H. Corbett joined the faculty of the Colorado Agricultural College (now CSU) in 1900 as a professor of literature and history and, after a short tenure as professor, became the Dean of Women for the Colorado Agriculture College.

Among other duties as dean, Corbett assisted college women in finding quality homes in Fort Collins and maintained close personal contact with the women of the college by means of frequent conferences and visits to their homes.

A quote from "Democracy's College in the Centennial State: A History of Colorado State University" summarizes the character of Corbett well: "Before World War I, Miss Corbett would regularly be seen guiding a college horse and surrey through the streets of Fort Collins en route to an appointment (with women from the college)." Corbett was well known on campus, especially for the teas and dinners she hosted at her home.

Also an active member of the campus community, Corbett oversaw the development of a special women's governmental organization, the Associated Women Students (AWS), which emerged just before World War I.

The AWS served as an organizational body for college women outside the Associated Students that, although its bylaws and constitution permitted female members, had not had a female student president under its 1917 constitution.

A female leader among her contemporaries as well, Corbett became the first president of the Colorado Association of Deans of Women, which has evolved into the current organization, now known as the Colorado-Wyoming Association of Women in Education (CWAWE).

Corbett was a Colorado Agricultural College figure during her lifetime, so it seems fitting that the Corbett residence hall bears her honorary namesake. The hall is located on the north side of campus, not far from her former residence at 428 W. Laurel St.

"A History of CWAWE" http://www.mines.edu/Beyond_csm/org/CWAWE/history.htm, and "Democracy's College in the Centennial State: A History of Colorado State University" by James E. Hansen II contributed to this profile.

Drew Haugen can be reached at regional@collegian.com