Authors: Grant Meech

The CSU men's lacrosse team is "ready to go," said head coach Flip Naumberg as the Rams head off to Northern California for a Spring Break trip.

The Rams will play three games on the four-day trip. Saturday the men face Sonoma State University in a showdown between the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the nation. On Monday they face Division-II Notre Dame de Namur in Belmont, and the Stanford Cardinals in Palo Alto, Calif., on Tuesday.

Naumberg isn't taking any of the teams for granted, but the game against Sonoma State carries the biggest consequences.

"I'm just taking the games one at a time," Naumberg said. "But Sonoma is the most important game for us."

The seeding for the tournament at the end of the year is based solely on the rankings, Naumberg said. Since Sonoma State is ranked above the Rams, this game could give the Rams a postseason edge if they come out on top.

The Rams will look to senior goalie and captain Pete Jokisch and defenseman Kellin Bershinksy to lead the defense against the California foes. Junior midfielder and captain Pat Bird will control the middle of the field for the Rams. Junior attacker Danny Stevens will lead the offense.

Naumberg noted there was a rivalry between the Seawolves and the Rams but it's probably the nicest of rivalries there is.

"There is some rivalry between the teams," Naumberg said. "But the boys have a lot of friends on the team."

After the tournament, Naumberg said the Rams would most likely spread out for the rest of Spring Break, but eventually return home to Fort Collins to focus on the rest of the season.

Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com