Authors: Vimal Patel The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The man arrested in Morgan Library with a syringe sticking out of his arm disputes the claim that he possessed more than a gram of heroin, a distinction that could significantly reduce his maximum penalty.

Chris Rosenblath, 37, was arrested in a second floor library bathroom in late January.

The prosecutor offered Rosenblath a plea – the details of which were not immediately available.

Rosenblath's attorney, Norman Townsend, said the deal was based on the premise that his client was in possession of more than a gram of the drug.

"The starting point impacts the ending point," he said.

Possession of more than a gram of heroin is a level 3 felony, which carries a maximum penalty of 12 years, Townsend said.

But Rosenblath contends that he was in possession of less than a gram, which would be a level 4 felony and would carry a maximum six-year sentence.

Rosenblath has been in custody since he was arrested in Morgan Library on Jan. 26.

A CSU Police Department officer drew his gun on the Fort Collins resident after encountering him in the cramped bathroom with a hypodermic needle in his arm.

The incident ended peacefully with Rosenblath's compliance.

Police say Rosenblath admitted that he's a heroin addict who can't stand being sober and shoots up at least five times a day.

Yvonne Paez, CSUPD spokeswoman, said that, given the circumstances, the officer who drew the gun on Rosenblath acted according to standard procedure.

"A lot of times people have this perception that police are eager to be pulling guns on people," she said. "We don't want to do that. We do it when we have to do it to protect ourselves."

Rosenblath is 6'0" and 200 pounds, according to a police report, but size isn't necessarily an issue when certain drugs are involved, Paez said.

"I've seen 110-pound women on drugs act like absolute tigers," she said.

Rosenblath's next court appearance is scheduled for March 27.

Vimal Patel can be reached at campus@collegian.com.