Authors: Kathryn Dailey

Applications are available in the ASCSU office and for more information about ASCSU and the elections visit their Web site at www.ascsu.colostate.edu.

Students interested in running for Associated Students of CSU president, vice president or one of 34 senator positions must turn in applications by 3 p.m. Friday.

"We encourage as many tickets as possible to run," said ASCSU President Courtney Healey .

The president and vice president position require the individual be at least a junior, maintain a 2.25 GPA while in office and be taking six credit hours per semester, said Jason Huitt , 2006 election manager.

"Willingness to make positive change and a willingness to ask questions – those are really the prerequisites," Healey said of what is needed to be president or vice president.

There are no class requirements for senators, but they must maintain a 2.0 GPA while in office and be enrolled in six credit hours each semester.

Senators are elected by college and the number of senators from each college is representative of the student populations of each.

Candidates must also attend an Election Orientation to be eligible to be placed on the general election ballot. Those take place today at 7 p.m., Wednesday at 4 p.m. and Friday at 3 p.m. in the ASCSU Office.

• Other important dates include:
  • The candidate list will be posted in the ASCSU office at 5:30 p.m. Friday.
  • Campaigning begins at 8 a.m. March 20.
  • A debate will occur on the Plaza from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. March 24.
  • A debate will occur in the Lory Student Center Theater at 7 p.m. March 29.
  • Voting begins at 8 a.m. April 3 and ends at 4 p.m. April 5.
  • The winners will be announced at the end of the Senate meeting April 5.

Healey said she and Vice President Jon Muller have open-door policies and are willing to answer any questions candidates may have.

"The number one importance to us is to pass information along from year to year," she said. Also noting that both she and Muller were "willing to dump information into anyone and everyone's head."

The president and vice president candidates run on the same ticket and can spend no more than $2,000, which Huitt said "comes from their own pockets." Senators have a $200 spending limit.

Huitt said there really aren't any other campaign rules, except that campaigning in the residence halls is generally not accepted.

"It's important for students to take an interest in how their university operates," Huitt said.

Healey agrees.

"(Getting involved) makes their community better and increases their knowledge and understanding," Healey said of why students should participate, the other being that ASCSU oversees the allocation of student fees.

ASCSU also represents the student body to the Board of Governors and the local, state and national governments as well as implements both low and high profile programs, such as Ram Ride.

"It's important for students, instead of evading them on the Plaza, to stop and talk to the candidates and find out what they're all about," Healey said.

Kathryn Dailey can be reached at campus@collegian.com.