Authors: Sarah Rawley

Spring Break jobs at Copper Mountain

– Pay starts at $8.25 per hour plus a transferable day ticket for every day worked

– Jobs available in food and beverage, parking and village base operations, ticket checking, rental, retail, housekeeping

– Positions available throughout March

– Visit www.coppercolorado.com to apply

With spring break just around the corner, students looking to make the most of their time on a limited budget don't have to limit their time on the slopes.

Copper Mountain's human resources department is offering college students a glimpse into the resort industry for temporary employment during the peak business periods in March.

"This is a possibility for kids who are interested in getting into resort operations or for someone who wants to finance spring break," said Carlos Garcia , public relations coordinator for Copper Mountain. "College students are the perfect demographic because they are intelligent and can be trained in a week."

Employees work at least four days in a one-week period. They will rotate through a number of departments including: food and beverage, parking and village base operations, ticket checking, rental, retail and housekeeping.

Compensation starts at $8.25 an hour plus a transferable day ticket for each day worked. Employees also receive free lift tickets at 12 resorts in Colorado including Copper Mountain and Winter Park/Mary Jane, food and beverage discounts, free Copper Ski and Ride School lessons, retail discounts and more.

"One of the best things is that a job at Copper will do different things for people," Garcia said. "An actual resort management experience might be something they can use as a gateway into this setting."

Selected employees will be offered temporary housing at $9 per night.

Copper Mountain continues to bring back this temporary employee program for college students because it is difficult to cover labor for the peak season. Last year more than 40 students were a part of the program.

This year Copper Mountain hopes to double the number of student employees, Garcia said.

With the biggest employee housing for any ski resort in Colorado, Copper Mountain continues to maintain a strong commitment to human resources.

"If (students) get a taste of how great the lifestyle is, then they are more likely to take the next step to pursue a more permanent job here at Copper," Garcia said.

Positions are available throughout March. For more information and to apply, visit www.coppercolorado.com.

Sarah Rawley can be reached at regional@collegian.com