Authors: Aaron Schoonmaker

As if CSU needed another reason to get the club teams some NCAA status. Women's lacrosse is ranked No. 2 in the country and is off to a championship-esque start.

What is a better way to barometer a young team than to play the best team in the country for game one? Right out of the gates, and without much practice time outside, the Rams (3-1) lined up against No. 1 and five-time national champions Cal-Poly.

A back-and-forth game throughout, the winner was not decided until the final seconds.

"It was good to get on the grass and into a game situation again," senior Jen Gunlikson said. "Our first game of the year was a challenge."

With just 20 seconds left in the season opener, Gunlikson scored on a penalty shot to bring the Rams within one goal. CSU then won the draw and got the ball to top goal scorer and senior attacker Kate Sebesta.

On the transition and looking for a shot, Sebesta was called for a charge as the clock showed two seconds left in the game.

"We knew we had to break their zone and shut down their threats," Gunlikson said. "We got great defensive play from Lisa (Long) and Dana (Nilson)."

The Rams proceeded to win the next three games of the weekend to bring their record to 3-1. Blowing out UCLA and Arizona State, CSU battled to edge Texas A&M 7-4.

"We have to be happy with our first games of the season," Gunlikson said. "All three wins show me the team is coming together and we're learning playing with one another."

Up next the Rams take a trip to Boulder on Saturday to play Lindenwood (Mo.) and Air Force. A game against Lindenwood last season went in favor of the Rams by 20 goals. CSU will also get a chance to see the top ranked team from Cal Poly again in the Rocky Mountain Shootout in April.

"We're looking forward to playing them again," Gunlikson said.

Up Next for Women's Lax:

Saturday @ 10 a.m. vs. Lindenwood in Boulder

Saturday @ 12:30 p.m. vs. Air Force in Boulder

Tuesday from 7 to 9 p.m. Bachelor/bachelorette auction in the Ramskeller with the club baseball team