Authors: Grant Meech

Coming off of a tough loss to Division III Whittier College, the No. 2 CSU men's lacrosse team will try and rebound against in-state foe, Division III Colorado College (CC). The Rams will meet the Tigers in Colorado Springs on the CC campus at 3 p.m. Saturday.

For the Rams, this will be their third game of the 2006 season but for CC, this will be their season opener.

Head coach Flip Naumburg expects the Tigers to be really good and know what CSU needs to do to win.

"We need to come out with good energy," Naumberg said. "We need to focus on the business at hand."

CSU just returned from a California trip where they played the University of California-Santa Barbara and Whittier College. The Rams defeated the Gauchos of UCSB 6-5 in a hard-fought battle, but fell to the Poets of Whittier on a five-goal run late in the fourth quarter to lose 12-10.

Naumberg knows the team needs to get better.

"We need to become a stronger team," he said. "We could be 2-0 right now."

CSU will rely on their captains to lead them against a strong CC team. Poudre High School product and defenseman Kellin Bershinsky and goalie Pete Jokisch will lead the defense. Midfielders Pat Bird and Mike Murphy will command the middle of the field. New York import junior Danny Stevens will lead the offense against the stout Tiger defense. He will try to improve upon his performance against Whittier when he scored four goals and one assist.

CSU will wear their new black uniforms against CC. In previous years the men wore the typical green and gold for away games. Naumburg said the uniform change was just for fun but had some reasoning behind it.

"This is our 'black' season," he said. "And the uniforms reflect that."

Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com