To the Editor:

Applying Mr. Waddingham's logic, we could reasonably move to outlaw alcohol. According to two sources, in 2004 nearly 17,000 people were killed in alcohol-related motor accidents. Now, would there be as many deaths if there was no alcohol? Of course not, but there would be more crime. The failure that was prohibition is proof.

We underestimate the power of criminal minds to provide prohibited commodities. Illegal gun trade is one of the biggest problems facing the developing world. Given the mess we live with here on the home front, a black market is the last thing we need.

Mr. Waddingham mentioned, but overlooked it is the person that pulls the trigger. It is absurd to place responsibility on inanimate objects. We must realize it is not the gun, but the criminal, fueled by a grudge, adhering only to his violent passions, that causes tragedy. The gun is merely a median whereby a trouble mind's diabolic deeds are executed. Eliminate firearms and other objects will be used.

Two events where not a single shot was fired prove this. In Oklahoma 168 people were killed from the explosive combination of fertilizer and diesel. Box cutters and airplanes caused the loss of 2,752 lives.

If anyone is to blame it is our media promoted, vigilante culture. A crackdown on television violence is the first step that needs to be taken. To ignore this is to be ignorant to the greater problem at hand.

Joseph Haynie

junior

biological science

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Meg Burg's column, "Addressing AIDS effectively," was a thorough examination of the cultural competency and sensitivity required when battling the HIV/AIDS epidemic in other countries.

I'd like to add information about what the U.S. government is doing, or more accurately not doing, since George W. Bush took office in 2001 to slow the epidemic. After Bush's election, one of his first acts was to establish the global gag rule, which forces established family planning organizations who council on the full range of options to choose between accepting U.S. funds that ultimately compromise women's health and reject much-needed resources.

The gag order limits what a doctor can say to a patient, interfering with the doctor-patient relationship. If doctors want to keep their U.S. funding, they are not allowed to counsel patients on their full range of options, potentially endangering their health and lives and fostering a feeling of mistrust between women and their doctors.

As a result of the global gag rule, providers have been forced to end programs, shorten their operating hours and close clinics. In many communities, the family planning provider was the only healthcare option. This means that vital services like prenatal care, post-natal care and HIV/AIDS counseling and testing are no longer available, or are available in a limited basis.

So what can we do about it? We can encourage Rep. Marilyn Musgrave to co-sponsor H.R. 4465, the Global Democracy Promotion Act of 2005. This bill would repeal Bush's gag order and reinstall U.S. funding for the international family planning agencies that are on the front lines of the battle against HIV/AIDS.

You can email Rep. Musgrave at http://musgrave.house.gov/contactform. For more information on the global gag rule and other reproductive health care issues, please come to a Vox CSU meeting at 7 p.m. in Lory Student Center Sunken Lounge.

Daniel Kessler

public affairs coordinator

Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains