Tim Waddingham's article, "Guns do kill people," is simply more drivel from the anti-gun lobby. I don't have the space to refute him in his entirety, so I will just throw some counter statistics out, and you can decide.

The following were taken from the US DOJ Web site. From 1993 to 1997, gun crimes accounted for less than 1 percent of serious, nonfatal victimizations that were the result of gunshot wounds. Gun violence has been steadily declining and is presently the lowest level ever recorded.

Incidents involving a firearm represented only 6 percent of the 4.8 million violent crimes of rape and sexual assault, robber, and aggravated and simple assault in 2004. The FBI's Crime in the United States estimated that only 66 percent of the 16,137 murders in 2004 were committed with firearms. According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, 80 percent of the inmates possessing a gun during their crime was the property of a family member, friend or an illegal source. During the offense that brought them to prison, only 15 percent of State inmates and 13 percent of Federal inmates carried a handgun. According to www.the-eggman.com/writings/death_stats.html, accidental gun deaths accounted for 776 deaths in 2002, of the nearly 98,000 total accidental deaths. Motor vehicle wrecks, on the other hand, accounted for almost 44,000.

For those who do not have an opinion either way on guns, let me point out that every time I head into the mountains to hunt with a gun in my car  if I drive by ANY school, I have committed a felony. Even if the gun is broken down, unloaded and locked in a vault in the back of my truck, I am a felon simply for driving through town. That is the progress made by the gun control lobby to make you safer.

Charles R Everett

senior

psychology and philosophy