Authors: Collegian Editorial Staff

Humans experience a lot of situations that call for a backup plan.

Cars come with a spare tire in case one goes flat. College applicants pick a safety school in case their first choice does not accept them. Skydivers have a backup parachute in case the first one fails. Why shouldn't there be an easily accessible plan B when it comes to contraceptives?

A bill in the Colorado House of Representatives would make Plan B, also known as "the morning after pill," available over-the-counter.

The pill prevents ovulation, implantation and fertilization, so anti-abortion sentiments don't even come into play. Morally it is no different from taking a daily pill or using a condom.

Opponents of the bill say emergency contraception promotes promiscuity and irresponsibility. But bad things happen, even to responsible and monogamous people. Condoms break. Women get raped. In fact, seeking emergency contraception soon after the incident shows a woman is taking a responsible course of action.

Opponents also question whether or not there should be an age restriction on the pill.

If women are legally allowed to consent to sex, they legally should be allowed to access contraceptives. Women over the age of 16 should be allowed to buy the pill with no questions asked. Younger women should have over-the-counter access to Plan B with parental consent.

While women who are regularly sexually active shouldn't rely on the pill as their normal form of birth control, there is no reason they shouldn't have a Plan B.