Rams Look for Payback

Authors: Stacey Zynen

The Rams will be out for revenge this Saturday. The second Border War of the season is to take place in Moby Arena as the CSU women's basketball team takes on the Wyoming Cowgirls.

The last time the Rams and the Cowgirls went head-to-head was on Jan.25 and the game ended 66-66, sending the teams into overtime. The Rams fell seven points short with a final score of 87-80 in the extra period.

After defeating two top 25-ranked teams (No. 22 New Mexico and No. 18 BYU) and honoring forward Hanna Zavecz as Mountain West Conference Player of the Week, the Cowgirls will come to Fort Collins ready to play. Zavecz has averaged 19 points and five rebounds over the last week, putting her on a six game double-digit scoring streak.

"It's been an unbelievable week for the Cowgirl basketball program," Wyoming head coach Joe Legerski told the press after the win over BYU. "We stepped up and played solid basketball for the entire game."

The Rams have struggled in the recent weeks of conference play falling to the TCU Horned Frogs on Wednesday night, handing them a four-game losing streak. They will need a win on Saturday to have hopes of moving up in the MWC standings.

Wyoming (18-6, 8-5 MWC) currently sits in the fifth spot in conference standings while CSU (8-16, 2-11 MWC) remains in eighth place.

CSU forward Melissa Dennett continues to lead the Mountain West in rebounding (8.5 per game) while placing fourth in scoring with 14.9 points per game. She led the Rams in scoring Wednesday night with a team-high 17 points and seven rebounds.

Tip off is set for 2 p.m. and will be televised on CSTV.

Stacey Zynen can be reached at sports@collegian.com.