Authors: Vimal Patel

A CSU professor accused of sexually assaulting a child is set to appear in court Monday for a preliminary hearing, where more details about the case against him are expected to be revealed.

Entomology professor Boris Kondratieff was arrested in January on charges of incest and sexually assaulting a child by someone in a position of trust, said district attorney spokeswoman Linda Jensen.

The charges stem from an alleged 2003 incident involving his stepdaughter, but few details about the allegations are available, said Linda Miller, Kondratieff's defense attorney.

"At this point, we don't even know what he's supposed to have done," she said.

Kondratieff could not be reached Thursday afternoon, but a professor who has been in close contact with him since the arrest said he finds the allegation hard to believe.

"He has tremendous support from everyone who knows him and we expect this will be resolved in his favor," said Thomas Holtzer, head of the Bioagricultural Sciences and Pest Management department. "There's no question he's dedicated to Colorado State, his students, and to entomology."

Kondratieff, who is free on bond, will continue teaching classes with another professor present.

"Even though we have confidence in Boris, we want to simultaneously assure everyone that none of the students of the university are in any way negatively impacted by this," Holtzer said.

If convicted, Kondratieff faces up to 12 years on each of the two charges, said Rita Davis, Fort Collins Police Services spokeswoman.

Kondratieff, a Fort Collins resident has won numerous awards in the entomology field and at Colorado State University, including the Oliver P. Pennock award, an honor bestowed upon five professors annually for outstanding service to the university.

He received a doctorate in entomology – the scientific study of insects – in 1982 from the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, and lists some of his interests as insect natural history, aquatic insect ecology, and K-12 outreach.

Miller said that no matter what the outcome of the charges, her client has already suffered.

"This has been extremely devastating to him," she said. "He has never been in this whole morass of the justice system…He's trying to hold up as best he can."

Vimal Patel can be reached at regional@collegian.com