Authors: Sarah Rawley

What: Banff Mountain Film Festival

When: Monday February 27

7:30 p.m.

Where: Lory Student Center Theatre

General Admission

Tickets: $10/CSU students and $12/others

Lory Student Center Box Office

Student Rec Center Membership Services desk

The Mountain Shop, 632 S. Mason St.

REI-Fort Collins, 4025 S. College Ave.

The 30th annual Banff Mountain Film Festival will bring the world's best films that highlight mountain culture, sport and adventure to the Lory Student Center Theatre on 7:30 p.m. Monday.

Its 2005 festival award winning films are traveling around the world to over 250 locations in 30 countries on six continents and to over 170,000 people.

The Outdoor Adventure Program continues to host this event because of its popular demand.

"We have always sold out every year," said Rodney Ley, director of the Outdoor Adventure Program. "The Banff people do such a great job of selecting films to tour with. They are international and high quality and bring human drama."

This year over 300 films entered the competition. The top 50 were screened throughout the festival, which is held annually on the first weekend in November in Banff, Alberta Canada.

Immediately after the festival in November, a selection of the best films entered in the festival goes on a world tour.

Ley will decide with a film festival representative which films will be shown in the two and half hours on Monday.

"We almost never decide until the day of viewing, because we want direct input from the traveling host who has seen them all," Ley said.

This year's selection feature films include the grand prize winner, "Sur le fil des 4000m", which follows the 2004 attempt by French alpinists Patrick Berhout and Phillippee Magnin to climb every peak in the Alps above 4000m.

Other finalists include "Grizzly Man," which explores the life and death of amateur grizzly expert Timothy Treadwell; "Off Road to Athens," which chronicles the tumultuous path taken by eight cyclists hoping to make the 2004 U.S. Olympic Team; "The Tangerine Dream," a ski movie; and many more.

Fort Collins is the first of six stops in Colorado. The world tour spans the globe, making its way from Austria to Argentina and from Iceland to India.

The next showings include REI in Boulder, followed by Denver, Manitou Springs, Aspen and Crested Butte.

Visit www.banffcentre.ca/mountainculture/tour for more information.

About 50 percent of the tour screenings benefits an outdoor program, community cause or a nonprofit organization.

Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased for $10 for CSU students and $12 for others from the Lory Student Center Box Office, Student Recreation Center Membership Services desk, The Mountain Shop and REI.

Sarah Rawley can be reached at campus@collegian.com