Misconceptions of hunters

I have one question for Ingrid E. Newkirk: Why must you stereotype hunters?

Several days ago, Newkirk wrote an article exploiting Dick Cheney's accident that seemed to emphasize the importance of hunters' safety. Instead, he went on to use Cheney's accident as an opportunity to degrade the sport of hunting.

In effect, I would like to take this opportunity to dispel the blatant fallacies found throughout his editorial.

To begin, young hunters are not taught that killing is "fun." Instead, they are taught to respect the power a gun yields and also to respect nature and the valuable resources it provides us.

Anybody can pull a trigger on a gun. It is irrational and irresponsible to assume that "most, if not all, students" who hunted as children are responsible for school shootings.

Second, the statement "deer enjoy emotional lives" is often used among animal rights fanatics in order to further dissuade people from hunting by attributing human characteristics to an animal.

Psychologists often call this method of thinking anthropomorphism. In reality, deer do not have the mental capacity to enjoy the same level of emotion as humans. Animals bond simply because it is beneficial to their survival.

Lastly, it is much healthier to eat deer that comes directly from nature as opposed to a meat packing plant that is running with a profit motive. Hunting is not only a means for sustenance but also a tradition.

Remember Ingrid, in America today thousands still respectfully and proudly hunt.

Patrick McArdle

Freshman

Open option major