Authors: Scott Bondy

In case you didn't know (and I don't blame you if you didn't), the Olympics are currently taking place.

The Olympic Games put sports on its grandest stage while giving athletes the ultimate privilege of representing one's country. If this is so, why aren't the Olympics worthy of watching?

From the events to the coverage to the competing athletes, the Olympics, to me, are not worthy of my time. One exaggerated example may sum it up: Ice dancing was scheduled to air at 1 a.m. last night. Are you kidding me? Ice dancing? I wouldn't watch that at any time of the day, let alone 1 a.m.

Maybe it's that the events just don't appeal to our generation. There are three events in the Winter Olympics that I'll watch: hockey (for the hitting), snowboarding (for the insane tricks) and my new interest, speed skating (for the crashes). Everything else is too boring. Curling is the most anticlimactic event, probably ever. I see the skill involved, but where's the athleticism? The luge and skeleton events are crazy, but nonetheless boring without crashes. And seriously, who thought of ice dancing?

But even if you like the events in the Winter Olympics, do you like them enough to wait until they air to find out the winner? It's like a 10-hour delay. Sports and tape-delays don't mix. It's just not practical to watch an event after knowing the winner. So, although it's not a great solution, I think NBC should play the events live.

The first thing I do when I wake up is turn on ESPN. It would be impossible for me to completely avoid all news coverage including, ESPN, ESPN.com and ESPN News all day. A simple comparison would be like Tivo-ing the Super Bowl and watching it the next day. What a horrific thought.

Plus, it's not like were rooting for athletes like John Elway, Michael Jordan or even Barry Bonds. Most of the athletes out there are only famous to their families. I'm not trying to take anything away from these great athletes, but it's hard to root for someone you never hear about. I can't help but think, 'Great you won gold, see you in four years.'

It's a shame too, because I really do wish the Winter Olympics interested me. I take pride in every gold won by U.S. teams. I like the thought that these athletes compete for the love of their country rather than their game-check. Ideally, I love it all. But when it's broken down I couldn't care less.

At least there's only two years until the Summer Games.