Authors: Tyler Wittman

A little over a month ago, the Bush administration asked Microsoft, Yahoo and Google to hand over search queries for their users in an effort to enforce a law sought to crack down on child pornography. Microsoft and Yahoo immediately agreed to submit their search results and information to the government while Google refused. This decision has been looked at very differently from opposite sides of the social spectrum. Social conservatives are berating the budding empire that is Google for their incompliant response to the government subpoena. Social liberals praised Google for standing up for the rights of its users and telling "the man" to take a hike. Liberals were praising Google for sticking to their guns and taking a stand for people's rights and privacy.

This argument held some weight, if you don't mind pederasts that is, until Google struck a deal with the People's Republic of China. The Chinese government told Google that if it wanted to do business in China, then they would have to censor their search results and filter out anything that the PRC found subversive to communism. Hey Google, thanks for sticking up for people's rights! Suddenly, it's ok for Google to protect child pornographers against a government experiment and simultaneously agree to take part in the repression of over 1 billion people? I think not.

Google's ideology has run into a paradox. They tell the U.S. government to screw themselves for trying to protect little kids while embracing communist efforts to deny people of their rights. What's their rationale behind this inconsistency? I'm thinking of the color green.

Don't be mistaken, MSN and Yahoo caved into the commies as well but at least they're not hindering the Bush administration's efforts to crack down on illegal porn by claiming to stand up for people's rights. Google, whose motto is "Don't be Evil," is apparently full of ironic contradictions.

Pornography is a very harmful and offensive industry. Its effects on marriages and monogamy are well documented, as is its place in the development of certain psychological and physiological problems pertaining to sex. It's as addictive as it is destructive and this is nowhere more pronounced than it is when children see it at a young age.

So just imagine the effects, if you will, of these sick people who force children to engage in pornographic situations for the enjoyment of equally as sick and disturbed people. It's illegal and should be stopped. Spare me this crap that NAMBLA and the ACLU spit out. These people are disgusting and should be locked up, something Google is having trouble understanding.

Communist China suppresses the freedom of religion and expression that we hold so dear; that people are entitled to. The Chinese government will use the censorship of its people's queries to prevent them from finding people of like faith with whom to worship. They'll prevent people from reading history that doesn't favor the Chinese government. They'll google Tiananmen Square and get results telling them how Mao Zedong invented the stapler and discovered America. Invented the stapler! Google sees no problem with this.

In actuality Google thinks China is a cash cow, which it is. MSN and Yahoo know this and Google can't afford not to be China's lapdog while MSN and Yahoo reap the benefits. Excuse me for saying this, but I don't give two cow pies about MSN, Yahoo or Google's stock prices. I don't care about their pockets. They should all be scorned and maligned for their participation in communism.

Google, however, cannot excuse their withholding of information from our government any longer. Our government wants their cooperation to gather statistics and bring justice to a sickening industry that exploits children and ruins lives. Apparently the only consistency with Google is that they want to help pederasts and communists alike; I'm sure they make the ACLU proud.

Tyler Wittman is a senior speech communication major. His column runs every Tuesday in the Collegian.