This reply is in reference to Hailey McDonald's opinion article on Feb. 10 entitled "Same-sex marriage: Fundamental right."

I would encourage Hailey to thoroughly research some of her references to make a valid argument.

Hebrews 13:4 was quoted in this article as "Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge." She

was correct when she makes the claim that in Hebrews 13:4 when the

"scripture says 'all,' (that does not refer to a specific group)."

However, scripture defines marriage as union between a man and a woman (Matthew

19:4-5 "…at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.'"), which should be taken into context when quoting Hebrews 13:4. This verse is condemning marital unfaithfulness and advocating purity before marriage.

As to Original Sin, the Bible clearly states many times throughout that it was man, Adam, which caused the fall of mankind to sin. It was the man who was commanded not to eat the fruit (Genesis 2:16-17 "And the Lord God commanded the man, 'You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.'") And in Romans 5:12 "Therefore, just as

sin entered the world through one man, …" So it was not woman who caused man to fall; he fell on his own and took the rest of mankind down with him.

This is not to say that women are better than men, but that the Bible's account shows that Adam was the culprit of original sin.

Lastly, Hailey said, "it seems from reading scripture, marriage is an earthly institution and, by no means needs divine blessing." According to Scripture, marriage is clearly defined as a God-given institution. Genesis 2:22, 24, "Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man….for this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife." Also, Mark 10:9, "What

God has joined together, let man not separate."

This email is solely to point out the errors made in referencing the Bible to support Hailey's claims. She is entitled to her own opinion, but not entitled to misuse a source.

Vanessa Fitzgerald

Biochemistry Graduate Student