Rams Hit the Road

Authors: Stacey Zynen

Colorado State will look to make history yet again this weekend as they take on the UNLV Rebels in Las Vegas. Senior guard Vanessa Espinoza is seven points shy of being the 14th player in CSU history to reach 1,000 points for her career. She would be the third Ram to reach the 1,000 point mark this season, joining fellow seniors Lindsay Thomas and Melissa Dennett.

"I'm just going to go out and play my hardest this weekend. Something like this can't affect my play each game, I have to give it my all every time," Espinoza said.

UNLV and CSU have both gone 1-3 in the last three games. After putting a stop to a 7-game losing streak on Feb. 4 against San Diego State, the Rams (8-14, 2-9 MWC) dropped the last two games to New Mexico and Utah.

Practice was light this week, and ironically the team kept their minds on anything but UNLV.

"Practice was just about us. We didn't really focus on anything else. We kept it light today and did some shooting and running. We adjusted some things that we needed to work on," Espinoza said.

The Rebels (14-8, 6-5 MWC) will be looking for shooting guard Sheena Moore to lead the team on Saturday against CSU. She has averaged 13 points per game for UNLV this season. Forward Sherry McCracklin, a key playmaker in the Rebel offense, has been absent the last two games for the Rebels due to a concussion she received against Wyoming. It is yet to be determined whether or not she will play Saturday.

The two teams last met on Jan.18 when the Rams fell only five points short at the buzzer, losing 67-62. The Rams are optimistic to travel this weekend despite their record on the road.

"Each practice, each game and each day we're getting better," Espinoza said.