Make arguments accurate

This is in response to the letter written by Rahaf Kalaaji on Feb. 14. I felt like you made a well-reasoned argument for what you believe. However, I do not think your comparison of the recent cartoons published in the Danish newspaper to the cartoons printed in "Europe and the United States during the 1930s and early 1940s" of Jewish and Japanese people is accurate at all.

First of all, you said the cartoons applied to all Muslims. I doubt you know what the author of those cartoons meant to convey. Is it possible that what the author meant was that Islamic extremists "hide behind" Muhammad, even though most Muslims would not agree with it? Furthermore, in the case of the Jewish people, as far as I know, there weren't any radical Jews strapping bombs to themselves and blowing people up. Additionally, you stated there are three million Muslims in Denmark, and they form four percent of the population. This would require Denmark to have about 75 million inhabitants. Denmark actually has about 5.5 million residents, of which about 2 percent are Muslims. This translates to a little more than 100,000 Muslims (information is from the CIA World Factbook 2005). I enjoyed the viewpoint of your letter, even though I disagree with it, but I feel you should be more careful with your facts when making a point.

Dan Barnes

graduate student

accounting